Xujiahuitianzhutang Church (Xujiahui Catholic Church) is the most famous downtown Catholic Church in Shanghai. During the late 19th century, the areas surrounding the tomb of Xu Guangqi was the center for Catholic religious activities, in 1906, the construction of a new church began, in 1910, a new church in European medieval gothic style was completed. The church was popularly called Xujiahui Catholic Church, it featured two 60 meters high steeples, its hall can accommodate 2,500 people, and the church collected many precious eikons and murals at the time, it was the most splendid Catholic Church in the Far East.
During the Cultural Revolution period, Xujiahui Catholic Church was severely damaged, religious activities were disrupted, the church was once used as a warehouse. The church was renovated in 1980, and religious activities were resumed subsequently.
Address: No.158, Puxi Road
Public Transportation: Metro Line 1; Bus No.: 15, 42, 43, 167, 712, 816, 920, 926, 931